Brighton BN42 4DN
CONTRACT COMPLETION DATE November 2018
Demolition and site clearance of No. 11 and part fire-damaged row of terraced houses Nos. 17, 19, 21, 23, 25 & 27 Albion Street, Southwick, Brighton BN42 4DN
Project history: Derelict buildings went up in flames in Southwick causing road closures on the A259. The East Sussex Fire and Rescue were called to the scene at 8.40pm on Friday 16th November 2018 to help tackle the fire. A spokesman for West Sussex Fire and Rescue service said: “No persons were affected by the fire.”
Two derelict buildings were on fire and Brighton Road had to be closed while firefighters battled the flames. The cause of the fire remains unknown.
As a consequence, the structures were deemed unsafe and required demolition with immediate effect. Dorton Demolition were awarded the demolition contract by Adur & Worthing Councils.
Brief Project Description: Demolition of a terrace of 6 two-storey houses and a detached two-storey house on the north side of Albion Street in Southwick, Brighton, along the A259.
Brief scope of works:
- Make safe structures following the fire damage.
- Disconnection of services and utilities including the payment of all statutory authority fees and charges.
- Carrying out an Asbestos Refurbishment & Demolition Survey.
- Removal of all Asbestos Contaminated Materials from the buildings and fire damaged debris.
- Removal of all previous tenants’ furniture, fixtures and fittings.
- Soft Strip and Demolition of all buildings and outbuildings including breaking up all ground bearing floor slabs and foundations.
- Breaking up all hardstanding areas within site boundaries.
- Clearance of rubbish and vegetation to front and rear gardens.
- Removal of all demolition arisings from site.
- Leave a level site on completion.
- Supply and erect hoarding and fencing to completely enclose and secure the site.
The project was successfully completed on time with no incidents or injuries recorded.